WE’VE GOT SPIRIT – YES WE DO – WE’VE GOT SPIRIT – HOW ‘BOUT YOU?

“No.”

That was me like a month ago.

As someone who is not particularly sporty, I often dread School Athletics carnivals. I’m not actually sure if it is the running that discourages me or the excessive standing in the stalls, cheering all day long. But before I start, just to provide some context to my scenario, I did attend the tryouts for long jump and got disqualified. Yes. Nobody thought to tell me that you can’t cross that little blue line when you go to jump. Not that I would have gotten in otherwise!

Anyway, (just to steer clear of an overly pessimistic voice) I attempted this year, my final year, to enjoy the athletics carnival, to try and be ‘spirited’.

So how did it go down? Well, let’s just say that I did not touch any ribbons last Wednesday BUT I did, and I repeat, I did have fun. I know right, such a weird concept that one could actually enjoy themselves at a school carnival.

But I did dance (to the horror of my friends), I did cheer, I did run (lol) and I didn’t lose my voice (to my disgrace as I have always wanted to see what that was like, though I did hear many hoarse voices the next day).

I think, for those of you who are approaching your final years at Loreto or those of you who lack all coordination and did not receive the Usain Bolt gene, just remember that the School Athletics Carnival is what you make it.

By Sally May

Skip to toolbar